I just read this, and loved it! It is true, but boy do we as parents, especially full time stay at home parents, forget the importance of our day to day mundane tasks.
“Sometimes I feel like all I do is change diapers, cook food, and clean up
messes,” sighed Ann.
Glenda smiled. “I remember those days well,” she replied. “It is a hard season of
life, but I want you to think about how important those tasks are, dear.”
“Oh, I don’t know about that,” said Ann. “They certainly don’t feel important.
Now, reading a book together or teaching Troy a new word—those feel important.”
“Do you remember when Tim and I went on that trip last summer?” Glenda
asked, “I’ll never forget the sight of those children in that orphanage. There were
so many of them, and so few helpers, that those basic necessary tasks didn’t get
done. There was no one to change their messy diapers, no one to feed them when
they were hungry, and no one to clean. Dirt was everywhere.” Glenda looked into
Ann’s eyes. “You are ministering to your children, Ann. You are nourishing their
spirits just as much as you are caring for their physical bodies. I know it doesn’t feel
important sometimes, but let me assure you that it is one of the most important
areas of ministry that you will ever have. Thank you for being faithful to take care
of your children’s needs.”
Little Troy appeared in the doorway, rubbing the afternoon sleep from his eyes.
“I’m hungry, Mommy. And Sammy has a stinky diaper.”
Ann smiled as she opened her arms wide for an after-nap hug.
~excerpt from The Early Years: A Charlotte Mason Preschool Handbook by Sonya Shafer and Karen Smith p.19
Monday, December 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I read this when you sent it and it really resonated with me too!
Post a Comment