Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Binkies

This is a big week for our family. I took the binki away from Jacob on Sunday night. I just decided one second, the next I was clipping the nibs off clean to the plastic. "Oh NO!" was his response, but no crying or drama (thankfully he is all boy in that department). It has been interesting to say the least, but not too bad. I was expecting hours of crying, waking up in the middle of the night looking for his binki, dropping his nap, etc. Instead he has talked himself to sleep.......each night and at nap time the talking has been getting shorter. Last night he only took 1 hour to fall asleep vs. the 3 hours the first night. Today only 1 hour to fall asleep for his nap vs. the 3 hours of playing in his crib during nap time yesterday. So, it is getting better. Soon, he'll have forgotten about it......until the end of January when he sees the baby using one. We'll cross that bridge then.

But this whole experiment/weaning has made me think about me and "us" as adults. There are certain things that have soothed, comforted, or just been habit or even at times what I thought were necessity......but when I cut it out of my life, I was no worse for wear, quite often better.
For example, I've turned off the TV in my house before, I've stopped reading for fun (long story, only way I could get through nursing school), I've stopped eating dairy "cold turkey", I've stopped hanging out with friends, I've stopped watching rated R movies....I could go on and on. Oh a big one for me when I was 19, I stopped flirting with boys. Yup, John and I wanted to get married but he needed to know I was committed to him and I had to show him by not flirting. Those of you who have only known me since I've married may have a hard time imagining.....but those of you who knew me then know exactly what I'm talking about. I wasn't a bad person, I just flirted....I couldn't help it....it was part of me, or so I thought.

You know, after it is all said and done, there is something powerful and freeing by proving to myself that I am in control of me. I've talked before about consequences, and I believe "you can choose your actions, but you can't choose the consequences of those actions." So, when I can eliminate something or develop a positive habit or routine I feel like I am choosing freedom in a way. Example: I cut dairy out of my diet cold turkey = freedom from terrible symptoms of lactose intolerance. I win!

So, although Jacob may be having a somewhat difficult time falling asleep with out his binki he is learning that he doesn't need something to fall asleep, he can do it all by himself. And now I don't have to worry about him going to college with a binki!

BUT SERIOUSLY.........IF I FEEL ALL THIS FREEDOM FROM BEING IN CONTROL OF MYSELF.......WHY IS IT SO HARD TO CHANGE?!




p.s. I do eat dairy again, in moderation. I just can't drink a glass of milk or eat much ice cream. So don't feel too bad for me ;)

6 comments:

Esperanza said...

Sarita:

You have done such a good job weaning Jacob! It really helps that he has such a sunny personality. He is great I love to be around him so much. Recently I have been speaking to him in Spanish and he repeats everything and he catches on so quickly, he is so much fun to be around. What a fantastic personality he has.

Love,

Mamaita

Ashley said...

Way to go Sara. That is a tough one. I think that you are right about conquering habits and being in control of ourselves. It is freeing to know that you have the power to change your life for the better. But as far as "no flirting"...that is impressive! Good luck on the pregnancy!

Juli said...

Thanks for the post. I have been thinking about getting rid of Waylon's binkie. Wyatt never took one so I haven't had to deal with it before. Oh, and I don't remember you being very flirty:)

Mother 25 - 8 said...

I loved that post Sara!

Jas and Berg said...

so I love your parenting style. so like I will be. in charge. and I think you should make a formal announcement about you know what.

Colette and The Chickenwings said...

Very thought provoking...I think it's time for me to cut a few "binkies" down to the nubs at my house. I'm feeling inspired.