Friday, December 18, 2009

Macy's One Day Sale


So, I read these blogs on couponing....I keep a close eye on groceries and toiletries as I've mentioned before.

But I thought I'd mention something I've never seen on those blogs......Macy's One Day Sales



History: January 2008, Jacob was 4 months old, Bergen and I were forging our sisterly bond and discovering new "common" interests. We saw (I can't remember which one of us) the add for the Macy's sale, and we decided to go. Bergen had a ton of gift cards from Christmas, and I had a paycheck coming that was all for ME. So we went....and we discovered morning sales, 50% off items already marked down 50%. We both got some great stuff. We soon learned that Macy's has one day sales every month or 2. And for the last 2 years, nothing has ever been as good as that sale. But every once in a while you hit the mother load!


So here is the DownLow:


  • Everything will go on sale. If you can possibly live without it (if they sell out of your size before it goes on sale) just watch it closely until it goes on sale.

  • Unless you need something very specific (IE a interview suit, party outfit, the perfect jeans, the perfect shoes, etc) NEVER buy full priced there. I never buy anything less than 50% off, usually not under 65% off.

  • Learn where the clearance racks are. Seriously, I NEVER stop at racks unless they say 50%, 65%, 75%, or 85% off.

  • Coupons.....if you see a One Day Sale commercial on TV, look online at Macy's website they almost ALWAYS have a coupon. Read the exclusions, sometimes they do exclude certain brands.


  • Macy's return policy is SUPER! They will take anything back. Bergen's taken shoes back that had no box, that she wore once and they were uncomfortable. They took them back and gave her in store credit, no questions asked!

  • Don't be discouraged, you won't find something at every one day sale....many sales go by and I find NOTHING. Don't buy something just because it is a good deal. They have these one day sales ALL the time. January is usually a good time because they are trying to get rid of their stock for inventory. But if you miss it, don't worry there will always be another one.

  • Every One Day Sale is really a 2 day sale. Yes, you read right....there is always a preview day. It is the exact same sale, the exact same morning specials, coupons work the day before.....it is just a gimmick to call it a One Day Sale.


Okay, lets get real......the sale is just a gimmick to get you in the store, so you'll buy other stuff. They'll always have other things on "sale" that aren't such a good deal. Just be DISCIPLINED! Take cash only! Take a calculator if you need help. Sales associates are always willing to ring something in to check the price after sale reductions.

Some of our deals:


  • I just bought my nephew a snow/winter coat. It is Nike brand, originally $85. It was on a sale rack for 14.99. After the One Day Sale reduction and my coupon....it came out to $4.99!

  • Bergen just got a nice pair of jeans. Org: $85 I think they ended up being around $8.

  • I bought a sweater for a gift, Org: $114. I paid $35.

  • Bergen and I just bought some shirts that all were originally in the $30-$40 range, and they all averaged out to be $4 each after sale reduction and coupons.
  • I've bought $90 pants for $15

I hate to "dig" for good deals. At Macy's I don't. I just head straight for the clearance racks, go to my size, flip through.....it is FAST and easy. I don't spend lots of time doing this. Just on Wednesday I spent 45 minutes in the store (Jacob was in the stroller and we were on a time crunch) and I hit Men's clearance, children's clearance, women's underwear clearance, and linens clearance. All in 45 minutes. See, don't waste time, don't dig, just get good deals or get out!

So, if you are changing clothing sizes, pregnant, want something "different," just feel like getting a new outfit but are on a budget, looking for a nice gift on a budget....try it out. I must admit, some Macy's are ghetto. We are lucky, Bergen and I, that we have a nice Macy's. It's not Nordstrom or Sax, but it is pretty nice for our little town.

I hope this little guide helps. So, if you get a bit of cash for Christmas, check out the One Day Sale that they will have in January.


p.s. No I don't get paid by Macy's. And No I don't have a Macy's credit card. Although card holders do get a bigger discount...it is worth the extra 20% not to have the temptation to spend more than I have.

p.p.s. Dillard's has a killer sale on shoes the first day of January. If you are drooling over some amazing boots, that is the time to get them!

2 comments:

Jas and Berg said...

HYSTERICAL! we are HYSTERICAL! and RIDICULOUS! and we LOVE IT! what a great post! I'm craving a sale just reading it and seeing the pictures. you are too much and that is so true. I could go on all day about deals I've gotten at those sales and my closet can testify of all the clothes. and if I remember right, you were going to the sale and asked if I wanted to go. it was our first shopping experience and we went nuts. good thing we had the stroller. we filled it up so fast. you did a great job describing how to be most effective. and yes, we are professional shoppers when it comes to Macy's. they love us and we love them! I can't wait for the Jan. sale! we will be there!

Colette and The Chickenwings said...

Love it. I will never forget the year I was with you and got two pairs of brand name jeans for $10 each. They're still my faves, when my belly is not overwhelming all my waistbands...;o(