Christmas is so wonderful. We do wonderful things around and at Christmas. We carol, give gifts, decorate, sing songs, attend and throw dinners and parties, and cook up a storm just to name a few. At this time of year many of us also focus more on the Savior, His miraculous birth, life, and death. I always feel a twinge of guilt though....in the back of my heart, because I feel guilty that I may not take His name on me in the same way through out the year. Am I being hypocritical to make a big fuss at Christmas and Easter? Well, I've come up with an answer, maybe not the whole answer, I'm sure I'll learn more to add to this idea as the years continue.
Celebrating the birth of our Savior through acts of charity, kindness, love, and cheer is not hypocritical at any time, and not at Christmas. BUT....... I have thought of 2 ways I can continue to take His name on me and share the light He brought to the world through His birth, death, and Resurrection. Let me illustrate them through 2 stories that come from my parents' lives.
1. When my mother was 10 years old, in El Salvador, she was roller skating in the neighborhood with two girls. The 10 year old girl asked my mother, "have you ever heard of the Mormon church?" To which my mother responded, "no." The 8 year old pipes in, "would you like to know more?" Of course the story has many more details, but it comes down to the faith and love of those two girls. They were ambassadors of Jesus Christ in such a casual and unassuming manner, but what they did saved lives, more than they would ever know. And guess what? It wasn't Christmas time!
By sharing the gospel we can share and feel the "Christmas Spirit" through out the year. The story of these little girls shows how simple it can be.
2. My dad was just telling me that there was a time in the late 1970's when he was very poor. He had almost nothing. He was remembering fondly and lovingly all the people who came out of the wood work to help him. While he was reminiscing, my mother asked, "how did they know you were in need of help?" My dad said he never knew, he was just always so humbled and thankful for people's desire to give to him, no questions asked and so happy to do it.
People all around us are in need. In need of monetary things and even more people are in need of emotional support. So many people have periods of being lonely or feeling unnoticed. We can be ambassadors of Jesus Christ, who knows all His sheep, by showing love to one another all year. If it is to take dinner to someone, pray for someone, make a phone call, remember someones name and something about them, or give of our belongings to someone who has none. Attending the temple for endowed members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is a wonderful way to serve those who cannot help themselves. What ever the need may be, and whatever capacity we can help......we can keep the "Christmas Spirit" all year long through love and charity.
I hope each of my family and friends can come up with ideas different or similar to these to help them feel the love of the Savior and love for Him all through the year. That Christmas may be just a special time to punctuate our year long honor of Him with beautiful decorations, wonderful music, and fun parties.
No comments:
Post a Comment